When the mind is cleansed

When my mind was cleansed of impurities,
like a mirror of its dust and dirt, I
recognized the Self in me:

When I saw Him dwelling in me,

I realized that He was the Everything

and I was nothing.



-Lalla



Lalla was a great female saint and mystic from the Kashmir province of India. She lived in the 14th Century, which was a period of great religious upheaval and change. Lalla had a profound impact on both and Hindus & Muslims her wisdom stemming from a profound self realization as Lalla. This period in which Lalla lived was an important time. It was one in which the divisions between religions were broken down. A saint like Lalla was able to appeal to the heart of the people. Her spiritual realisations cross caste and religious barriers and is still admired today.

No comments: